Continuing Education Units & Faculty
- Stress Management through Huna Mind-Body healing techniques
- Energetic Healing through Hawaiian Kahi Loa Massage and Healing Touch
- Yoga and meditation for stress management
- Motivating for Fitness; Exercise Programs to Heal and Strengthen
- Nutrition Balancing to Promote Health Using Delicious Whole Foods
- Prevention and Natural Approaches to Managing Diabetes, Heart Disease and Cancer including:
- Natural lifestyle for optimal health
At the conclusion of this retreat, participants will be able to:
- Identify two natural approaches for cardiovascular risk factor reduction, diabetes management and cancer prevention.
- Discuss three components of a safe, healing exercise program.
- Describe two new ways of incorporating whole foods into a health promoting diet.
- Apply the HUNA Philosophy in their everyday life to reduce stress and maintain wellness throughout the year.
- Describe two mind-body healing techniques.
- Identify two healthier alternatives to chemical cleaners and pesticides.
- Identify two benefits of meditation and deep breathing techniques.
Location: Secret Falls Retreat, Kapaa, Kauai
Tuition: Tuition is included for participants registered for the Hawaii Health Getaway.
Continuing Education Provider: Ann B. Doherty, RN, CDE
Accreditation: Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #CEP 13272 and the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, Provider #PCE 2886 for RN, MFT and LCSW licensure requirements up to 30 hours.
Ann B. Doherty, RN, CDE is an experienced holistic health educator, national lecturer and practicing clinician. She has been coordinating lifestyle modification programs since 1985 while working as a research nurse at the Stanford Heart Disease Prevention Program and with the Preventive Medicine Research Institute - Dr. Dean Ornish's studies in reversing heart disease. She currently works in the San Francisco Bay Area as a Certified Diabetes Educator and Cardiac Risk Counselor. As director of Optimal Health Associates, Ann designs and teaches wellness programs to health professionals and the community. Her presentations at this retreat will provide information on the latest medical advances as well as complementary therapies available to promote cardiovascular health and manage diabetes.
John Rettger, Ph.D., RYT, teaches yoga-based approaches to stress reduction and well-being enhancement. He received a Ph.D. in clinical psychology from the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology and has completed Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Teacher Training. He is a cofounder and teacher at Blue Elephant Yoga & Mindfulness Center in Palo Alto, CA.
Diane Koerner is a natural lifestyle and nutritional counselor trained at the Vega Institute. She will introduce ways to remove physical stressors such as chemicals from your life. Diane is also a shamanic counselor, trained by Serge Kahili King, Ph.D., of Aloha International. She will guide you in "instant" mind-body healing using Dynamind and other Hawaiian Huna techniques, and will teach Kahi Loa bodywork and healing with the power of energy and touch.
Karin Backinoff, LMT, is an experienced massage therapist who will work with you to release stress in your body, mind and spirit as she performs Temple Style Lomi Lomi massage... a deep tissue massage that relaxes muscles while balancing your emotions.
Steve Backinoff, M.S., is a holistic physical therapist who specializes in designing individualized exercise programs and leading nature adventures that allow people of all fitness levels to enjoy Kauai's splendor while learning from nature and about Hawaiian culture.
Faculty and activities may change without notice depending on weather and availability.